[Ves] How to develop a small app with VES API

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Tue Nov 6 05:29:11 EST 2012

Hi Ariel,

A link to the VES doxygen can be found on the VES wiki page, the link is
http://public.kitware.com/ves-docs/

It is possible to use Eclipse to develop Android apps using ves and vtk.
I'm not an Eclipse user, so I can't offer any specific instructions, but if
you follow the general Android tutorials for Eclipse you should be off to a
good start.  Eclipse will be used to compile the Java app code, you should
still use cmake to generate Makefiles to compile c++ and JNI libraries.
You could use Eclipse for that, but the linking will be difficult because
there are many VTK libraries to link against, so using cmake will be easier.

There's not really a place you can go to list the VTK files that are
available on Android.  The majority of VTK classes are available, but the
classes in the Rendering module, and dependent modules, are not available.
To get an exact list of the available classes, you could do a find for
.cxx.o files in the VTK build directory, that will list all the VTK class
files that were actually compiled for android.

Pat