[Tomviz] Adding a file reader to Tomviz

Nathan Hughes nathan1hughes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:56:26 EST 2018

Hello,

At the end of last year, our paper was published (https://plantmethods.
biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13007-017-0229-8) and I used Tomviz for
a lot of visual analysis.

I'm currently in the process of moving a lot of my segmentation methods
from MATLAB into Python and I would like to use Tomviz further. However we
use a Scanco MicroCT scanner which produces a proprietary ISQ file format.
I have written a file reader for it, both in Python and MATLAB, I could
also rewrite it in C/C++ if needed and would like to add it to Tomviz as it
would be extremely useful for my Institute to use for a lot of our
projects, I also know others in my field who would appreciate this addition
too.

Would someone be able to advise on how I could go about making this
addition to the Tomviz software? Obviously, I can navigate the code, I just
want to do this correctly and in a way in which I can feed this back to
other users on Github.

Mostly I am unsure of which specific files are needed to be altered in
order to accept another file type and how to point to the function to
handle it.

As you can see here: https://gist.github.com/SirSharpest/
fd0a039547eb4ca5f00b02de1216917f it's a straightforward process (this is
just a quick example).

Hope I can get some advise on this.

Many thanks,