[Smtk-developers] smtk + netgen

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Jun 14 15:46:48 EDT 2017

Hi Maxim,

Sorry for the slow reply.

We have a few mesh workers (separate executables that use remus to communicate with ModelBuilder). Each worker typically deserializes a model from an SMTK file (whose filename is passed as a parameter to the worker's job) and meshes it, then returns (via Remus) the location of the mesh file it generated to ModelBuilder.

Unfortunately, none of these mesh workers are public yet as the meshers themselves are not under our control. However, TJ is working on a simple Delaunay-triangulation mesh worker that might serve as an example of how we are tying SMTK to mesh generators:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmb/smtk/merge_requests/676

It's a work in progress until it gets merged, but hopefully it will help. We would really like to have a mesh worker based on the cgm session that uses netgen to create meshes, so if you are thinking about contributing one that would be great.

Given the tendency we have observed for most meshers to crash somewhere between occasionally and frequently, we like running the mesher in a separate process even though it adds the overhead of reading/writing files.

	David