[Rtk-users] rtk::CudaVectorImage available

Kabelitz, Gordian Gordian.Kabelitz at medma.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 21 17:43:49 EST 2019

Hi Simon,

I asked because of the description of the itk::VectorImage (https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorImage.html):
“Conceptually, a VectorImage< TPixel, 3 > is the same as a Image<https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Image.html>< VariableLengthVector< TPixel >, 3 >. The difference lies in the memory organization. The latter results in a fragmented organization with each location in the Image<https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Image.html> holding a pointer to an VariableLengthVector<https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VariableLengthVector.html> holding the actual pixel. The former stores the k pixels instead of a pointer reference, which apart from avoiding fragmentation of memory also avoids storing a 8 bytes of pointer reference for each pixel. The parameter k can be set using SetVectorLength.”

Does it make any performance differences on the CPU algorithms?
I guess that the memory is reorganized in the rtk::CudaImageFilter to make it more efficient on the GPU (like a new image for each vector component). Or it is handled in a different way?

I think it will be more time consuming and error prone to do it by myself since I am not very familiar with GPU memory management.

Gordian