[Rtk-users] rtk user : FDKConeBeamReconstructionFilter

Chao Wu wuchao04 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 08:34:57 EST 2018

Hi Simon,

I have related questions. Maybe you or someone else has some empirical
experience
or something like a rule of thumb:

We talk about voxels and pixels of a virtual detector at isocenter, so no
influence from geometrical magnification.
Then we can say that the best practice would be setting voxel size similar
to the pixel size.

My questions are:

- If you are going to use a bigger voxel size as an arbitrary times of
pixel size such as 1.5x, 2.7x or 6.2x, how do you determine whether you
should do a binning of the detector images and which binning factor is
optimal? Should you always make the binned pixel size just bigger or
smaller than the voxel size (so for the example before you use 2x2, 3x3 and
7x7 binning, or 1x1, 2x2 and 6x6, respectively)?

- Instead of detector binning, another solution may be using an upsampled
voxel grid for reconstruction and then do the binning on the 3D volume. For
example you may reconstruct a volume in a 2x2x2 finner grid and then
perform a 2x2x2 binning to the output, if the voxel size is about 2 times
of the pixel size. Despite that the amount of computation is 8 times
higher, is there any obvious benefit (resolution, contrast, S/N etc.) under
this scheme?

Best regards,
Chao