[Paraview] Programmable filter - Reading a vtkUnstructuredGrid in the Python script

Gaël Grail gael.grail at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:32:23 EDT 2018

Dear all,

New to the mailing, and first question for me: hi everyone !
I'm using the 5.4 binary version of Paraview available online, I'm not
compiling my own version.
I'm trying to encapsulate an exe program in a programmable filter ; based
on the programmable filter inputs and parameters, I run this program in the
embedded python script ; the program writes a vtkUnstructuredGrid in the
working folder. Now I want to read this vtk object and give the result as
output of the programmable filter.
I have noticed that vtkUnstructuredGridReader is not available in the vtk
library that is only accessible through the embedded python script.
Do you know any other way to read a vtkUnstructuredGrid, or any vtkObject,
in a programmable source/filter, than coding my own reader ?

Many thanks,
Gaël