[Paraview] Serial & Parallel - Scientific Data

Léo Pessanha leonardopessanha74 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 14:01:46 EDT 2018

Hi!

I have some questions about serial and parallel data.

I'm working at a HPC facility but all my scientific data was previously
written in serial .VTK extension.

*What's the best way to turn my serial data into parallel?*

I have found that I can open the ParaView client application and connect to
my localhost with at least 2 processes, open my serial data and save it as
parallel data.

*Is that effective? Is that the right way to do?*

*Or I would only benefit of parallel processing if I wrote my data as
parallel from the beggining?*

The options presented when saving data:

- Data Mode: ASCII | BINARY | APPENDED
- Encode Appended Data: TRUE | FALSE
- Compressor Type:  NONE | ZLIB

*What do the mean and how they affect performance?*

*If I save my serial data as parallel data using 2 processes, is that the
same as saving my data with N number of processes?*

Best regards,
Leonardo Pessanha
Laboratory of Computational Methods in Engineering
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - COPPE
Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil