[Paraview] Error when starting ssh session on PV5.5

Chris Coutinho c.coutinho at redstack.nl
Thu Apr 12 15:13:30 EDT 2018

Hello,

I just recently installed the recent release of ParaView 5.5 to test out
some of the new functionality, but I'm unable to connect to my server
from a Windows laptop client. I've tried both manually starting it on
the server and starting `pvserver` through SSH in the client itself.
Both cause the client on my laptop to freeze with an error message
similar to 'paraview.exe stopped working' and I get a bunch of errors on
the server that are all the following:

```shell
ERROR: In /home/chris/Software/ParaView/paraview-src/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 572
vtkClientSocket (0x1878cc0): Socket error in call to send. Broken pipe.
```

I have both ParaView 5.4.1 and 5.5 installed on the server as well as
the client, but currently only 5.4.1 works over SSH. Server was
installed via a git-checkout and on the client via
www.paraview.org/download/. Specifically I tried both the ParaView
downloads with and without MPI, but neither solved the problem. Btw,
what's the difference between those two? I see only one option for Linux
(with MPI).

Both installations on Windows use the same 'load servers' (XML?) script
that I configured to automate the ssh connection. The only changes were
for the path to `pvserver` and the `--use-offscreen-loading` flag
(5.4.1) was changed to `--force-offscreen-loading` (5.5).

I built both 5.4.1 and 5.5 again on the server to test, and I can't find
a difference between the builds. Here's the `cmake` command I used for
5.5. Version numbers were adjusted accordingly for 5.4.1 (5.5->5.4):

```shell
cmake ../paraview-src-5.5 \
-DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=ON \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release \
-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=`which gcc` \
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=`which g++` \
-DCMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER=`which gfortran` \
-DMPI_C_COMPILER=`which mpicc` \
-DMPI_CXX_COMPILER=`which mpicxx` \
-DMPI_Fortran_COMPILER=`which mpifort` \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_FFMPEG:BOOL=ON \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON:BOOL=ON \
-DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=`which python3` \
-DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI:BOOL=ON \
-DMPIEXEC_MAX_NUMPROCS:STRING=`nproc` \
-DQT_HELP_GENERATOR:STRING=`which qhelpgenerator-qt5` \
-DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE:STRING=`which qmake-qt5` \
-DQT_XMLPATTERNS_EXECUTABLE:STRING=`which xmlpatterns-qt5` \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="/usr/local/lib/paraview-5.5" \
-G Ninja \
-DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM=$HOME/Software/ninja/ninja \
&& $HOME/Software/ninja/ninja
```

Also a side question: On the client, ParaView doesn't keep multiple
servers.pvsc files for each version of `paraview` installed on the
client (in %APPDATA%\Roaming\ParaView\), although it does keep separate
.ini files.  Is this expected?

Met vriendlijke groet,
REDstack BV

Chris Coutinho
Onderzoeker/Data Analist

tel: +31 (0)6 - 2222 5785
post: Postbox 199, 8600 AD Sneek
bezoekadres: Pieter Zeemanstraat 6, 8606 JR Sneek
email: c.coutinho at redstack.nl
www: www.redstack.nl