[Paraview] Remote rendering through reverse SSH breaks with a GLX error

Robert Sawko robertsawko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:43:48 EDT 2017

Dear Paraviewers,

I am trying to run Paraview in a client-server mode on a remote compute node
using a reverse SSH through the login node.

I have successfully worked out my port forwarding skulduggery and was able to
connect to a host which does NOT run X server. Inside my local client. I do get
an error

        "Display is not accessible on the server side. Remote rendering
        will be disabled"

This is to be expected on the node without X.

On the node with X running my client gets connected but then breaks with:

        Waiting for client...
        Connection URL: cs://pgc104:22226
        Accepting connection(s): pgc104:22226
        Client connected.
        Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        (core dumped)

Finally on the login node client-server works fine and rendering (I guess)
is done on the remote side as I don't get any errors. We have made sure that
xorg.conf on login and X-enabled compute node are the same.

My connection procedure:

local% ssh -L 22226:localhost:22226 login_node
login% bsub -R "select[hname=pgc104]" -Is /bin/bash
pgc104% ssh -N -R 22226:localhost:22226 login &
pgc104% DISPLAY=:0.0 pvserver -sp=22226 --use-offscreen-rendering
local% paraview->connect to localhost:22226

Same thing works on pgc304 which doesn't run X. Please let us know if you have
any suggestions.

Best wishes,
Robert
--
Ironically, it was Christopher Columbus who was wrong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth