[Paraview] Take spatial average on slice along a direction with a single filter

Shuhao Wu shuhao at shuhaowu.com
Mon Sep 11 17:10:13 EDT 2017

Hello all,

What I want to do is to take a bunch of X slices in my domain and
compute the average on that slice for a particular quantity. I want to
then be able to plot this as a line plot (X vs average quantity) and
also find the coordinate X of a specific average quantity.

I'm having trouble doing this in a single filter. Is this something that
is supported? Right now my script is creating many slices and
programmable filter (for averaging into a vtkTable) and then a
programmable filter at the end combines all of the slices into a single
vtkTable that I can use to plot. This can lead to hundreds of filters,
which degrades performance drastically. I don't feel like this is the
"correct" way to do things. Does anyone else know a better way?

Thanks,
Shuhao