[Paraview] OSPRay Surface Opacity

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Sep 7 09:39:33 EDT 2017

A couple of observations:

1) for surface rendering with color mapped array, vtk's OSPRay interface we
does not yet respect transparency (either at the actor level or in the
alpha channel of the colormap). If you use a solid color for the entire
actor (PV GUI color choice is "Solid Color" instead of one of the arrays in
the data) then we do respect opacity.

2) we turn on aoTransparencyEnabled whenever there are volumes in the scene
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Rendering/OSPRay/vtkOSPRayRendererNode.cxx#L870
If your scene doesn't have volumes in it, then you'll need to compile from
source and enable that generally (remove the if conditon).

Feel free to submit patches or bug reports to for either of those things to
help us remember to improve them.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer