[Paraview] Good file format for point data on a surface over 60, 000 timesteps

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 13:44:14 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to help one of our users (HPC center) use ParaView to work
with their wind tunnel data.  They have a large number of time samples
(60,000) from a series of surfaces with from a small number of sample
points (64).

The sample points are irregular but structured as they are laid out to
be more dense in areas that should see more differences (i.e., at best
you could say it was a non-uniform grid with several of the points not
used).

What file format should this data be put in to import into ParaView?

The VTK legacy formats and XML description formats seem painful to use
with this number of timesteps and I believe (please correct if wrong)
that the NetCDF wants a regular grid.

Thanks!  -Tyson