[Paraview] Exodus multiblock dataset block numbers vs block

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Wed Nov 15 09:51:58 EST 2017

All,

Okay, maybe not the clearest email I've ever written!

See the attached image:  Here I have loaded a single block out of a multi-block dataset.

It is the 24th block in the dataset.
It was assigned the block_ID 101 at creation (we separate different blocks into different number ranges)
So, it is shown in the Spreadsheet view as Block Number 25 (24+1)

However, I need the Block_Name of this block.   The block name is stored under:
Input.GetBlock(0).GetMetaData(23).Get(vtk.vtkCompositeDataSet.NAME())       (23=24-1)

In order to retrieve the name, I need to find the Block Number 25 (and subtract 2 from it).

I have been unable to find this block_number.    I can't count blocks to find out the block_number, because my Programmable filter only has this 1 block in it.

So, does anyone know where this "Block Number" is stored?    I'm wishing at this point that the Exodus reader had stored the block names in a dictionary with BlockID (ObjectID) as the key - then I could find  the name.

Any clues on how to determine the Block Number?

Thanks
Dennis