[Paraview] RedHat6/mesa/Paraview5.3 problem

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu May 25 16:03:13 EDT 2017

Hi Patrick,

On a RedHat 6 server, with AMD firepro W7000 GPU

> I'm launching paraview via vncviewer on this node.

If you're running via VNC then unfortunately you won't be using the GPU
(unless you get more creative with something like VirtualGL).  You're only
going to be able to use the CPU based renderer in Mesa.

> If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later
> and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

So, Mesa got OpenGL 3.2 support in 10.6.5, but not all of the drivers
implemented it until much later.

> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)

llvmpipe is Mesa's software renderer

> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.0.7

Older versions of Mesa may have supported OpenGL 3.2 at it's core but the
llvmpipe driver still took a while to catch up.

So which minimal mesa version is required for paraview 5.3 ?

It wasn't until Mesa 12 that OpenGL 3.2 was properly supported and reported
by all Mesa drivers.  With some versions of 11, though, it works *enough*
that you can fake it by exporting the environment variable
GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2, so give that a try.  If you instead want to just
use the linux binaries from paraview.org, we build those on EL6 and include
a very recent copy of mesa with it that you can make paraview use with:

paraview --mesa-swr

That instructs ParaView to use it's own copy of Mesa and the OpenSWR
parallel CPU rasterizer.

- Chuck