[Paraview] gpu_shader4 extension is not supported

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Tue May 23 03:51:40 EDT 2017

Thanks a lot Burlen, all is running fine now with this setup for mesa on the
front-end.
With Paraview, I had to add some parameters for ffmpeg-3.3 libraries that were
not automaticaly loaded and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load llvm is a separate
directory from mesa but all runs fine now:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/share/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/share/apps/llvm/4.0.0/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and for cmake:
cmake ............
    -DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_FFMPEG=ON \
    -DFFMPEG_ROOT=/share/apps/ffmpeg-3.3-GCC485 \
-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-Wl,-rpath-link=/share/apps/ffmpeg-3.3-GCC485/lib:/share/apps/llvm/4.0.0/lib:/share/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr/lib
-L/share/apps/ffmpeg-3.3-GCC485/lib -lswresample -lavutil -lavformat -lavcodec
-lswscale -lavdevice -lavfilter" \
    -DVTK_FFMPEG_AVCODECID=ON \

Burlen Loring wrote:
>> - one build for the front end with GUI: it has no GPU but a windowing system
>> (this is the blocking point at this time)
> OK. to accomplish this, first do a Mesa build configured as
> follows(glx+software rendering)
>
>     ../mesa-17.0.6/configure --enable-texture-float --enable-glx --disable-dri
>     --disable-egl --disable-gles1 --disable-gles2 --disable-gbm
>     --disable-driglx-direct --disable-xvmc --with-gallium-drivers=swrast,swr
>     --prefix=/work/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr
>
> make sure ParaView can find it, and configure ParaView as follows
>
>     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/work/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>     cmake -DOPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR=/work/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr/include
>     -DOPENGL_gl_LIBRARY=/work/apps/mesa/17.0.6-x11-swr/lib/libGL.so
>     ~/work/ParaView/
>
> when you run ParaView the "help/about" dialog should report VMWare Mesa 17.0.6
> Gallium on llvmpipe.
>
> On 05/16/2017 11:18 PM, Patrick Begou wrote:
>> Yes Burlen,  this is exactly what I try to do:
>> - one build for the nodes whitout GUI as they have no windowing system nor
>> GPU (I build this using the wiki documentation)
>> - one build for the front end with GUI: it has no GPU but a windowing system
>> (this is the blocking point at this time)
>> - one build on the users workstations where a GPU and a windowing system are
>> available (this is working too thanks to the wiki documentation)
>>
>> On the front-end I have a system libGL but too old for Paraview 5 and it is
>> requested by other commercial softwares. This is why I try to build a new
>> mesa from sources for Paraview. I use the module environment then to set the
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH order to reach the right libraries and, as strace
>> show, it seams to work fine. So I suppose it is a mesa configuration mistake
>> in my build.
>>
>> May be should I post on the Mesa forum ?
>>
>> Patrick
>>

>> Burlen Loring wrote:
>>> that's the point. this allows you to run without the windowing system or GPU
>>> on the cluster. Most cluster have neither. If you wanted to provide the GUI
>>> then I would suggest you have two installs of both ParaView and Mesa. One
>>> based on OSMesa, the other based on some X11 enabled OpenGL. Alternatively
>>> you could install only the OSMesa capable pvserver as suggested in previous
>>> email and direct your users to the ParaView GUI enabled binaries that
>>> Kitware provides on their web site. The latter is what I have been doing.
>>>
>>> As an aside, it gets messy when you have two libGL in the same build. One
>>> need to be very careful about library dependencies. It is possible to do
>>> this if one is very careful during link time. However as far as I know this
>>> has not been supported for quite a long time in VTK/ParaView, and I think it
>>> would require some reorganization of VTK OpernGL classes.
>>>
>>> Burlen

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |