[Paraview] Questions about using ParaViem in a cluster

Léo Pessanha leonardopessanha74 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:28:50 EDT 2017

Hi!

I've recently gained acess to a cluster with paraview in it and I have some
questions.

The cluster has no graphics. Only CPU. We use off-screen rendering and
reverse-connection

I'd like to run pvserver in the cluster and have the OpenGL windows defined
in the .PVX file open in my local machine so I can create 6 views in a
Cubemap shape.

So far I've tried the following:

*1)* mpirun -np 1024 /sw/apps/suse/shared/paraview/5.2/intel/bin/pvserver
-rc --use-offscreen-rendering  --client-host=${IP} cubemap.pvx

The output:

Client connected.

=====================================================================   BAD
TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
EXIT CODE: 11
[...]

*2) *mpirun -np 6 /sw/apps/suse/shared/paraview/5.2/intel/bin/pvserver -rc
--use-offscreen-rendering  --client-host=${IP} cubemap.pvx

The output: "Client Connected."

No OpenGL windows are open thou.

*3) *mpirun -np 6 /sw/apps/suse/shared/paraview/5.2/intel/bin/pvdataserver
-rc --use-offscreen-rendering  --client-host=${IP} cubemap.pvx  *(renderserver
in local machine with same .pvx  and number of processes being used)*

The output: off-screenrendering can't be used with dataserver

*4) *mpirun -np 6 /sw/apps/suse/shared/paraview/5.2/intel/bin/pvdataserver
-rc --client-host=${IP} cubemap.pvx *(renderserver in local machine with
same .pvx and number of processes being used)*

The output: ParaView tries to conect at port 53939 in node rank = 0 and
crashes

Questions:

In order to use .PVX files I have to run with -np = number of machines
defined in the .pvx file? If so, why is that?

Is it possible to do what I am trying to?

Should I use paraview installer  with MPI or not?

Using off-screen rendering, my local machine does any type of graphic work?
Or is it only like an "image stream" of the data rendered in the server?

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo Pessanha
Laboratory of Computational Methods in Engineering
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - COPPE
Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil