[Paraview] ASCII data visualization in paraview

Saideep Pavuluri Saideep.Pavuluri at pet.hw.ac.uk
Thu May 18 06:32:45 EDT 2017

Hi everyone;

Until now I was using "OpenFOAM" software which has a dedicated reader available in paraview to read the output files.

In parallel, I am working with a software called "Gerris". Both the software's use a collocated grid arrangement with field variables located at the cell centres. Unfortunately, Gerris writes an output in "vtk" format yet the data is always interpolated to the cell nodes which I don't want. I am just interested in the cell centre data.

As an alternative, I tried to write the output in ASCII format, with information regarding the cell centre co-ordinates (X, Y, Z) and velocity field data (U, V which are primary variables) at specific time intervals.
I realize it is not straight forward to visualize the ASCII data in paraview nor are there any readily available converters that do the transformation from a ASCII to VTK as per my knowledge.

Can anyone guide me here,

For reference, attached you will find my ASCII data output which I would like to visualise.

Thanks;
SaiD