[Paraview] gpu_shader4 extension is not supported

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Wed May 17 02:18:08 EDT 2017

Yes Burlen,  this is exactly what I try to do:
- one build for the nodes whitout GUI as they have no windowing system nor GPU
(I build this using the wiki documentation)
- one build for the front end with GUI: it has no GPU but a windowing system
(this is the blocking point at this time)
- one build on the users workstations where a GPU and a windowing system are
available (this is working too thanks to the wiki documentation)

On the front-end I have a system libGL but too old for Paraview 5 and it is
requested by other commercial softwares. This is why I try to build a new mesa
from sources for Paraview. I use the module environment then to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH order to reach the right libraries and, as strace show,
it seams to work fine. So I suppose it is a mesa configuration mistake in my build.

May be should I post on the Mesa forum ?

Patrick

Burlen Loring wrote:
> that's the point. this allows you to run without the windowing system or GPU
> on the cluster. Most cluster have neither. If you wanted to provide the GUI
> then I would suggest you have two installs of both ParaView and Mesa. One
> based on OSMesa, the other based on some X11 enabled OpenGL. Alternatively you
> could install only the OSMesa capable pvserver as suggested in previous email
> and direct your users to the ParaView GUI enabled binaries that Kitware
> provides on their web site. The latter is what I have been doing.
>
> As an aside, it gets messy when you have two libGL in the same build. One need
> to be very careful about library dependencies. It is possible to do this if
> one is very careful during link time. However as far as I know this has not
> been supported for quite a long time in VTK/ParaView, and I think it would
> require some reorganization of VTK OpernGL classes.
>
> Burlen
>
> On 05/16/2017 08:38 AM, Patrick Begou wrote:
>> Burlen Loring wrote:
>>> ../mesa-17.0.2/configure --enable-texture-float --disable-glx --disable-dri
>>> --disable-egl --disable-gles1 --disable-gles2 --disable-gbm
>>> --disable-driglx-direct --disable-xvmc --enable-gallium-osmesa
>>> --with-gallium-drivers=swrast,swr
>>> --prefix=/usr/common/software/ParaView/mesa/17.0.2/
>>
>> Hi Burlen,
>>
>> this Mesa setup does not provide libGL requested to build paraview with GUI
>> enabled :-(
>> It is OK for the cluster nodes but not for the frontend where I need this GUI
>> even with no GPU installed.
>>
>> Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |