[Paraview] what does gaussian radius represent when "use scale array" is on or off, separately?

张驭洲 yzhzhang at ipe.ac.cn
Wed May 10 08:15:14 EDT 2017

Hello,

I'm using ParaView 5.2.0 to render some points. I'm using the GUI. I want to render the points as spheres so I select point gaussian. In the data file, there is a data array that defines the radii of the spheres, which range from 1.23e-4 to 2.46e-4. If I set the gaussian radius to 1.23e-4, it looks fine, though it doesn't show the difference of the spheres' radii. When I click use scale array and choose the radius array to be the gaussian scale array, all the spheres disappear. I guess maybe in this situation, the rendered radii are the product of gaussian radius and the values in the radius array, resulting to be at the scale of e-8. Then I set gaussian radius to 1, but it seems that it is still too small and no sphere appear. I keep increasing the value of  gaussian radius to 500, and the rendered radii seem to be of the same scale of the beginning. If gaussian radius is the true radius of the spheres defined by the data file when use scale array is off, what it represents when use scale array is on? Why is 500 the proper value?

-Zhang