[Paraview] troubles with netCDF reader ?

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Fri Jun 23 13:57:02 EDT 2017

Cynthia,
It seems that the files you send us are not CF compliant.
The problem is that the Time dimension does not have a unit.

Here are some quotes from the CF Conventions document:
- The use of coordinate variables is required for all dimensions that
correspond to one dimensional space or time coordinates.
- Variables representing time must always explicitly include the units
attribute; there is no default value

So, to fix one of your files, I did:

1. ncdump ARAD4_test2.ncdf > ARAD4_test2_CF.txt

2. I added a new variable Time with the unit specified to the txt file.

float Time(Time) ;
Time:units = "minutes since 2016-07-29 12:00:00" ;

3.
I generated a new nc file:
ncgen ARAD4_test2_CF.txt -o  ARAD4_test2_CF.nc

This new file is read correctly by ParaView.

Best,
Dan