[Paraview] OSPray rendering: ERROR: VolumeMapper's Input has no scalar array!

Jiahui Luo luo229 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:45:10 EST 2017

Hi ,
I got an error message when trying to do volume rendering on the output
of the ResampleToImage filter:

    ERROR: In
    /home/user/apps/paraview5.2.0-build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/Rendering/OSPRay/vtkOSPRayVolumeMapperNode.cxx,
    line 107
    vtkOSPRayVolumeMapperNode (0x68c2ad0): VolumeMapper's Input has no
    scalar array!

Here is how it happened.
First, I added a ProgrammableSource with Output DataSet Type set to
vtkRectilinearGrid and apply something like this,

    import numpy as np

    # Read x,y,z,th from file

    xCoords = vtk.vtkDoubleArray()
    for i in x:
         xCoords.InsertNextValue(i)

    yCoords = vtk.vtkDoubleArray()
    for i in y:
         yCoords.InsertNextValue(i)

    zCoords = vtk.vtkDoubleArray()
    for i in z:
         zCoords.InsertNextValue(i)

    output.SetDimensions(len(x), len(y), len(z))
    output.SetXCoordinates(xCoords)
    output.SetYCoordinates(yCoords)
    output.SetZCoordinates(zCoords)

    thArray = vtk.vtkFloatArray()
    thArray.SetName("Temperature")
    thArray.SetNumberOfComponents(1)
    thArray.SetNumberOfTuples(nx*ny*nz)
    for k in range(nz):
         for j in range(ny):
             for i in range(nx):
                 index = i+j*nx+k*ny*nx
                 thArray.SetValue(index, th[k,j,i])
    output.GetCellData().SetScalars(thArray)
    return output

Since volume rendering can not be done on rectilinear grid. I added a
ResampleToImage filter on this source.

Then I could do volume rendering using Ray cast or GPU based, but not
OSPray and the above message popped up.

How to make this work? Thanks.

Jiahui Luo