[Paraview] Filter for interactive spreadsheet?

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis.bockemuehl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 05:08:50 EST 2017

Thanks again Andy!

I really appreciate your hints: It has already pointed me into a good
direction!

Actually what I tried for my purpose was:

1. do a selection, apply the "extract selection" filter, with the "keep
topology" option on. With this I am getting just one additional column -
"vtkInsidedness" - and this tells me whether in the initial data (actually
cells of an "unstructured grid") an item was selected (value 1) or not
(value -1).

2. on top of this I applied the "calculator" filter like you suggested, and
with just an if(1=vtkInsidedness, ...) I could get exactly what I wanted!

Bottom line: these two filters are actually my friends for the purpose!

Only two things I am still struggling:

1. if I want this procedure to be a bit more simple I should maybe still
write some kind of "wrapper filter" that does the above steps for me just
in one. Like derive one filter from the calculator, including the nice
calculator panel on the left, and just automatically do the "extract
selection" before applying the calculator

2. with the "python calculator" I was not successful, and I wonder why!?
Because if I applied that python calculator to my original "unstructured
grid" data set everything worked fine (so it is not about missing python
support!), but if I did the procedure as above, applying the "python
calculator" on the extracted data, I always got a message: "AssertionError:
Unsupported array type 15". This was independent on what was the expression
I tried to apply, even if it was just a constant value! Looking into the
source code it looks indeed like a mistake if some column has "type 15": I
found only about 10 type definitions at all...

Regards,
Cornelis

--
Cornelis Bockemühl