[Paraview] installing additional Python modules

Heiland, Randy heiland at iu.edu
Tue Dec 12 22:37:43 EST 2017

Any good advice for installing additional 3rd party modules for pvpython?  In a Programmable Source I’d written to read in MATLAB (.mat) data files, I was using the scipy module (scipy.io.loadmat). When I wrote that, I naively thought to myself - WOW, it sure was convenient that they included scipy as a 3rd party pkg in pvpython! Turns out, I was of course picking it up from another Python 2.7 distro. I only discovered this while testing on another OS (without any Python).

So, have others found themselves in a similar situation? I realize the hurdle depends on the module itself and, in this case, scipy is not trivial. Right now, I’m thinking maybe requesting that users install Miniconda 2.7 and grow from there, which presumably pvpython could use. Thoughts?

-Randy