[Paraview] paraview.simple

Guillermo Suárez guillermo180395 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 06:04:14 EDT 2017

Dear all,

Yesterday I installed paraview v5.3 using the binaries from the website on
my Linux (ubuntu) OS. The steps followed are (they my influence on the
final result):

   1. Download the binaries from http://www.paraview.org. For me this
      results in: ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz
      2. Extract and copy them:

      tar xzvf -C /opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz
      sudo emacs ~/.bashrc

      3. then insert the following line, save & close

      export PATH=$PATH:/opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/bin/

Then I created a symbolic link:

         sudo ln -s
/opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/bin/paraview
/usr/bin/paraview

         sudo ln -s
/opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/lib/paraview-5.3/
/usr/lib/paraview-5.3

Before installing paraview from the binaries files I was using the version
from Ubuntu repositories (paraview version 5.0 [I think]). Also I was using
a python script which uses paraview to take some snapshoots and it worked
really well. The problem is that now, when I want to use this python
script, it reports this message:

"from paraview.simple import *
ImportError: No module named paraview.simple"

I have made some searches on the Internet and I found a web page about this
problem: https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/EnvironmentSetup
I have copied and pasted those sentences on my .bashrc file, restarted the
computer but it still does not work.

Could you please help me?

Best regards,

Guillermo S.