[Paraview] Screenshot resolution and 2D actors size

Wilhelm Lionel lionel.wilhelm at epfl.ch
Tue Aug 8 10:29:01 EDT 2017

Dear Paraview community,

I created a full layout with 5 different views and would like to save a screenshot. The paraview GUI looks exactly like the image I want to save so I just use File -> Save Screenshot and keep the default resolution. The settings and the generated image are attached as "settings_test1" and "test1" (everything works fine).

If I change the resolution of one pixel in one of the dimensions (width for example), the resulting image shows huge scalar bars. Here are also attached the screenshot settings and the resulting image ( as "settings_test2" and "test2" ). I have to mention that the small numbers on the views are in fact 3D Text objects.

The entire visualization is produced by a Python script that I launch in the following way : Tools -> Python Shell -> Run Script. In order to avoid resolution problems, I also tried to run the script with pvbatch and at the end save the screenshot with the following settings :

SaveScreenshot(OutputImageName,layout, SaveAllViews=1,
ImageResolution=UsrImageRes,
FontScaling="Scale fonts proportionally",
SeparatorWidth=1,
SeparatorColor=(1,1,1),
ImageQuality=100
)

These settings are the same as the ones presented in the "settings_test*" images. The result attached as "test3.png".

Is this a bug or this behaviour should be expected ? Does anybody has an idea ? Are the problems with pvbatch and the GUI related or not ?

I'm using Paraview 5.4.0 with MPI enabled when I use the GUI.

Kindly,

Lionel Wilhelm