[Paraview] Building ParaView v5.1.2 on Linux from source with support for GPU and SWR.

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Wed Sep 28 11:54:53 EDT 2016

Ben,

Thank you very much for the information in your email.

>> 3.     You need a GNU compiler v4.8.0 or above to build. My Linux
>> distribution comes with gcc v4.7.2. Fortunately, I had gcc v4.9.2
>> installed with which I could perform a successful build.

> What subproject required this?

I had to recompile from scractch, which took a bit of time. Actually, the GNU compiler requirement is coming from building the OSPRAY project, as shown hereafter:

[...]
CMake Error at cmake/gcc.cmake:48 (MESSAGE):
  GCC version 4.8.0 or greater is required to build OSPRay.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake/ospray.cmake:97 (INCLUDE)
  common/CMakeLists.txt:17 (CONFIGURE_OSPRAY)

[...]

> The new superbuild has support for building mesa 12.0.3 as part of the build. We used prebuilt binaries before because our build machine was Debian 6 which was not easily capable of compiling the LLVM -> Mesa chain > without a self-compiled compiler and such, so it was built once and that was it. I think it did contain SWR since it was a git snapshot.
> Utkarsh?

As additional information, I have cloned the git repository and did:
git checkout origin/release

which I then used to build Paraview V5.1.2 along with all dependencies.

If the new superbuild has support for building mesa 12.0.3, I would be interested in trying this out. Are there any instructions I can follow to do that?

My intention is to compile paraview without GUI to run it in batch on our cluster. This is the main reason why I am using a specific test suite to check the performance of mesa-llvm vs. mesa-swr vs. GPU. At the moment, on CPUs supporting AVX2 instruction set, mesa-swr shows a very decent performance. Hence, my interest also to try out the latest mesa 12.0.3 version, which I have downloaded today and started compiling. In this regard, do you have any configuration options you can share for use in offscreen mode? If this is handled already by the latest superbuild version, then please disregard the questions above.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Frank.