[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] ParaView Release Plan

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 20 15:47:42 EDT 2016

Good plan.  Makes a lot of sense.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: ParaView [mailto:paraview-bounces at paraview.org] On Behalf Of Utkarsh Ayachit
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:37 PM
To: ParaView <paraview at paraview.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Paraview] ParaView Release Plan

Folks,

To make it easier for deployment and planning for various ParaView dependent projects, we are planning to adopt a timely release plan for ParaView starting with 5.2.

The principles are simple:

1. We will have 2 planned releases per year. One before SC (Oct/Nov) and another one before ISC (May/June).
2. Unplanned or off-cycle releases may happen between these two planned releases as needed.

For planned releases, the release cycle will be as follows:

1. When a release is planned, a fixed date will be announced as the date when the first RCs will be tagged.
2. A no-later-than date will also be announced for the final release at the same time. Barring exceptional cases, the final release will happen on or before that date.

With this is mind, here are the planned dates for the upcoming releases.

Codename: SC-16
RC Date: Oct 07, 2016
Final release no later than: Nov 04, 2016

Codename: SciDAC-17
RC Date: Feb 03, 2017
Final release no later than: March 03, 2017

Codename: ISC-17
RC Date: May 01, 2017
Final release no later than: June 09, 2017

We're using codenames, instead of version numbers to not have to update the milestones if we need to have another unplanned release at any time.

As you can see, the SciDAC-17 release is one of the off-cycle release for next year and does not affect the two planned releases codenamed
SC-16 and ISC-17.

For up-to-date information on these, see the https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/milestones

Thoughts? Comments?

Utkarsh