[Paraview] Blood vessel network (spatial graph) visualisation

Simon Walker-Samuel simonwalkersamuel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 05:19:07 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm investigating how I might use ParaView to visualise large 3D spatial
graphs (i.e. a spatial distribution of nodes connected by segments) that
represent blood vessel networks in tumours. I usually use Amira or
Imaris for this, but would much prefer to use an open source solution
like ParaView. My current project aims to simulate blood flow and drug
delivery to tumours, which has lots of potential for in-depth visualisation.

To start off with, I am trying to work out if it's possible to display
this type of network in ParaView as connected tubes, with radii scaled
by the size of the vessels. As I say, these datasets are large,
typically with around 300k segments. If this kind of visualisation is
available (or potentially could be developed), the next challenge would
be to find a file format that could be use to import them.

My data is currently in Amira mesh (spatial graph) format, which
consists of multiple fields that define 1) the 3D coordinates of the
nodes, 2) connections (segments) between the nodes, 3) 3D coordinates
defining the path of the segments and 4) scalar fields defining
atrributes of the segments (e.g. vessel radius, blood flow, pressure, etc.).

I've searched unsuccessfully for Amira mesh readers (or the similar
Duke-Southampton format), but perhaps this area has not yet been
explored as an application for ParaView?

Any initial guidance would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Simon