[Paraview] Is the PythonAnnotation documentation obsolete?

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Thu Sep 8 14:32:14 EDT 2016

All,

I have tried to use PythonAnnotation but it only seems to work properly with FieldVariables.

So for instance, with field variables  of REACTZ_901 and REACTZ_902, the following expressions work and display the  values as expected

REACTZ_901                                displays array of values for all timesteps
REACTZ_901[t_index]                 displays single number (no brackets)
Int(REACTZ_901)                          (error)
Int(REACTZ_901[t_index]            displays truncated integer value (no brackets)

To try to work with CellData I have made an ExtractSelection of a single Cell.  I have a Cell variable of FBFORCE1
I want to use PythonAnnotation to print out the FBFORCE1 for that cell over time (with formatting)

FBFORCE1                                      [VTKArray([154.2])]  shouldn't this have a value for each timestep?
FBFORCE1[t_index]                       (error)
FBFORCE1[0]                                  [ 154.2]
FBFORCE1[1]                                  (error)
Int(FBFORCE1)                                (error)
Int(FBFORCE1[0])                           (error)

2nd try - Ran PythonAnnotation on an entire file - many cells, with following results
FBFORCE1                                       VTKArray([ value1, value2 .........value_final]) - seems like 1 value per timestep (shouldn't there be array of # of cells by # of timesteps?

FBFORCE1[t_index]                       [131.4]  -  again- should be array of # of cells? Which cell is this
FBFORCE1[t_index][0]                   (error)
Int(FBFORCE1[t_index])                 error)

So it seems that Field Variables are numpy-friendly in that formatting works with them, while Cell Variables are still VTK Array variables and not numpy-friendly.

It's possible that I am completely missing something here, but it seems Cell Variables are not very useable in the PythonAnnotation.  Is there a way for me to Annotate with individual cell values, either by running PythonAnnotation on a single cell, or by manipulating the variables which are available in the filter?

At this point I don't know why Cell and Point Variables are included in the filter since I can only figure out how to use Field Variables

Thanks for any hints

Dennis