[Paraview] Building Paraview 5.2.1 on Windows (Visual Studio)

Charles Boivin charles.boivin at mayahtt.com
Fri Sep 2 10:43:17 EDT 2016

Trying to build PV 5.2.1 on Windows 7. I have tried with both VS2015 and VS2013 and facing the same issue.

Using Qt 4.8.6 (compiled in 'Release' mode - no debugging info)

I point CMake to the Qt folder and easily get VS projects and solutions. I can compile without any issue (had missing libs with one project, but turned off VTK_BUILD_QT_DESIGNER_PLUGIN to avoid that issue for now).

It builds and links fine. However, Paraview crashes when I try to run it, without any kind of message whatsoever. Debugging in VS, I can see that it gets to pqApplicationCore::createOutputWindow(), and it crashes when it tries to execute the following line:

  this->OutputWindow = new pqOutputWindow(0);

(it doesn't even reach the interior of pqOutputWindow::pqOutputWindow() - looks like it crashes in the SuperClass maybe? Hard to say).

Has someone ever encountered something similar? If not, is there any way to get more info as to what might be going on here in order to fix this in some way (maybe some log file)? As mentioned before, I tried with both VS2013 and VS2015 (and corresponding builds of Qt 4.8.6), and I get the same problem.

Thank you,

Charles Boivin