[Paraview] Linking to Catalyst

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon May 9 22:41:06 EDT 2016

Hi Tim,

I assume that writing out a data set works on other machines, correct? Can
you try the gridwriter.py script at
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/blob/master/Examples/Catalyst/SampleScripts/gridwriter.py
to output the full data set? It should work with PV 4.4. Note that outputs
a full data set every time step. I'm not sure about Python warnings or
errors but the C++ warnings and errors will be sent to std::cerr instead of
std::cout.

Did you make the script with PV 4.4? The PV Python API has some changes
(especially for rendering) between revisions. I think the best option is to
just comment out the parts that are causing trouble.

If you're still having issues, maybe send your full script along with
std::cout and std::cerr outputs so I can get a little deeper into the
issues.

Good luck,
Andy

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Gallagher, Timothy P <
tim.gallagher at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Okay, really close to finally crossing this off my list -- it's been on it
> for years.
>

> I can get the code to generate images but it won't save data files. I
> don't get any errors and I get my images, just no VTK files. I have tried
> the default that the catalyst generator creates:
>

> parallelMultiBlockDataSetWriter1 =
> servermanager.writers.XMLMultiBlockDataWriter(Input=slice1)
>
> coprocessor.RegisterWriter(parallelMultiBlockDataSetWriter1,
> filename='slices_%t.vtm', freq=freq_file)
>

> and I tried another form that the grid writer you've send me in the past
> used:
>

> writer = coprocessor.CreateWriter(XMLMultiBlockDataWriter,
> filename='slices_%t.vtm', freq=freq_file)
>

> in all cases, freq_file = 1000.
>

> Neither one will output any vtk files.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> Also, minor note but it is kind of annoying -- both the catalyst generator
> and the trace generator seem to do this, but they add commands that set
> attributes that are not part of the classes when run through the python
> script. For example, I had to comment out:
>

> #      slice1Display.SelectInputVectors = ['CELLS', 'Velocity
> [m/s]']
>
> #      slice1Display.WriteLog = ''
>

> Any ideas why it does that? Or is there a way (and downfall) to just let
> it add attributes without manually calling add_attribute() each time?
>

> Tim

>>> libvtkPVPythonCatalyst-pv4.4.so* and