[Paraview] Surface Streamlines

Hora David david.hora at iwf.mavt.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 8 11:54:38 EDT 2016

Hello everybody

I observed a problem with surface streamlines in ParaView 4.4. It can be reproduced with the attached files.

The case has a flat geometry in the XZ plane and a velocity distribution without Y-component. Using the filter 'Stream Tracer with Custom Source' gives me very nice results. Unfortunately, the streamlines look bad as soon as I activate the option 'Surface Streamlines'. I would expect more or less the same results as everything is in the same plane. Adjusting the settings didn't help. The standard 'Stream Tracer' filter is also affected.

The conclusion is that the option doesn't work reliably in certain cases. It can be avoided in cases with the plane perpendicular to an axis (by removing the corresponding velocity component with the calculator) but not for planes with arbitrary positions.

Best regards
David