[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Re: Comparison of Visit and ParaView development

Vanmoer, Mark W mvanmoer at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:55:22 EDT 2016

I use both VisIt and ParaView at NCSA regularly, depending upon what the teams I support are already using. If I have a free hand I generally pick ParaView because (1) I learned VTK first and it’s very straightforward to mentally map a VTK vis pipeline to ParaView and (2) I find the ParaView GUI more intuitive, which is not to be underestimated. Now that VisItBridge is available, I’m even able to get away with mixed projects (though those are rendering projects, not dev projects).

Both scale well in my experience and have for years. I’d like to hear more about what VisIt wasn’t able to scale in the past.

For in situ I have developed with both VisIt’s libsim2 and Catalyst and find Catalyst much easier. With libsim2, it seemed more like that the simulation code had to be shoehorned into VisIt, but maybe that’s been improved since I looked into it.

Both codebases are non-trivial. If you’re planning on developing in the primary codebase as opposed to writing plugins/operators/filters, I don’t think one would be markedly easier than the other.

The python API for ParaView is much more pythonic, IMO.

The downloadable VisIt user manual is for 1.5 and from 2005. Looking at the history in the developer wiki, some of the wiki pages are from 2008, so it’s not clear that its documentation is more up to date.

I don’t mean to bash VisIt, VisIt has some nice features: setting up interactive remote client-server jobs is a snap, the color map editor for volume rendering has easy to use Gaussian opacity transfer functions, you can do some interesting things with queries, etc.

I’ve found both mailing lists to be professional and responsive. I certainly don’t have any complaints about Kitware answering many of the questions, Alan is right, they know more! ☺