[Paraview] pvserver 5.0.1 crash on localhost

Christian Felter cfztol at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:13:20 EDT 2016

Hello,

I running a fresh install of kubuntu 16.04 xenial xerus on a desktop computer with 2 x 14 cpu's. I've downloaded ParaView-5.0.1-Qt4-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit binary release (from paraview.org), and I use the binaries in the "bin" subfolder.

When I run in client-server mode on the computer, i.e. using localhost and socket 11111, I experience "random" crashes of pvserver. I start servers like this:

mpirun.mpich -np 14 <path to>/ParaView-5.0.1-Qt4-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/bin/pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

Then in the client many things are working. However, when I use the Contour-filter after playing a few time step (from an ExodusII-file) a small pop-up appears saying "The server side has disconnected". In the terminal I can see different errors. Sometimes it says:

Bus error (signal 7)

other times is it something with:

Unsupported cell type

(I think it comes from void vtkGenericCell::SetCellType(int cellType) )

Does anybody know how to fix these issues? I would be really happy if someone knows a solution.

Christian