[Paraview] Compiling Catalyst examples from a Catalyst edition

Christopher Neal chrisneal at snumerics.com
Wed Jul 27 18:04:03 EDT 2016

Hello again,

Is it possible to compile the Catalyst examples that are in the main Paraview source tree by linking them to a Catalyst edition that has been compiled separately?

I did the following

1.)     downloaded the Catalyst edition and untarred it to a directory called: Catalyst-v5.1.0-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base

2.)     Made a separate directory called: Catalyst-v5.1.0-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials_build, and went into that directory

3.)     I ran the following from the directory in step 2: ./../Catalyst-v5.1.0-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials/cmake.sh ../Catalyst-v5.1.0-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials

4.)     I typed ‘make’

This process built the Catalyst edition and there were no errors.

Then I did the following
1.) Made a directory called ‘Catalyst_examples’, and went into that directory

2.) Ran the following in the directory from step 1: cmake -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/neal/software/Catalyst/Catalyst-v5.1.0-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base_build -DBUILD_FORTRAN_EXAMPLES:BOOL=ON /home/neal/software/ParaView/Examples/Catalyst/
3.) I typed ‘make’

When I do this I see the following error:
ParaView/Examples/Catalyst/CxxVTKPipelineExample/vtkCPVTKPipeline.cxx:12:34: fatal error: vtkPVArrayCalculator.h: No such file or directory

 #include < vtkPVArrayCalculator.h >

                                  ^

compilation terminated.

CxxVTKPipelineExample/CMakeFiles/CxxVTKPipelineExampleAdaptor.dir/build.make:86: recipe for target 'CxxVTKPipelineExample/CMakeFiles/CxxVTKPipelineExampleAdaptor.dir/vtkCPVTKPipeline.cxx.o' failed

make[2]: *** [CxxVTKPipelineExample/CMakeFiles/CxxVTKPipelineExampleAdaptor.dir/vtkCPVTKPipeline.cxx.o] Error 1

CMakeFiles/Makefile2:594: recipe for target 'CxxVTKPipelineExample/CMakeFiles/CxxVTKPipelineExampleAdaptor.dir/all' failed

make[1]: *** [CxxVTKPipelineExample/CMakeFiles/CxxVTKPipelineExampleAdaptor.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

This error does not show up however I change the –DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to point to the Paraview build that I have. I used ‘find . –name ‘vtkPVArrayCalculator.h’ in the Catalyst edition source, and it is there under /ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions/Default/ . How can I tell cmake to look at the Catalyst edition source for the required header files? Is there a cmake flag for that? I tried adding the CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH variable to the cmake command, but it ignored it.

Thank you,

Chris Neal