[Paraview] Streamlines with an octree/hierarchical grid

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Wed Jul 13 09:18:17 EDT 2016

Hi Ethan,

The issue here is that unstructured grids (which is what you have here)
doesn't support non-conforming grids (e.g. octree grids with "hanging"
nodes). So in this case the stream tracer filter is trying to traverse the
grid by using cell adjacency information and because there isn't proper
connectivity information at the interfaces between different octree levels
the grid traversal thinks it has hit a boundary and stops.

The proper way to model this octree grid in VTK is through a
vtkNonOverlappingAMR, vtkOverlappingAMR or vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet. See
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkUniformGridAMR.html for
information on that and either the VTK or ParaView users guides.

Cheers,
Andy