[Paraview] Warning about Version while Reading File

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Feb 4 11:00:27 EST 2016

Thomas,

I'm surprised your file didn't cause a complaint in ParaView 4.2. The
legacy VTK file reader in VTK hasn't changed in quite some years. What
software writes your VTK file? If it were written with VTK (perhaps by
way of ParaView), the file version number should be 4.2.

By the way, this shouldn't be a problem other than annoying you with
the warning message.

Cory

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Fastl, Thomas <thomas.fastl at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello Community,
>

> I just installed ParaView 5.0.0 and loaded a vtk-file which worked under
> ParaView 4.2.0! Doing so I receive the warning 'Reading file version: 4.2
> with older reader version 4.0', suggesting that an outdated vtk version is
> used to read the file. I should mention that changing the header line in the
> vtk-file from '# vtk DataFile Version 4.2' to '# vtk DataFile Version 4.2'
> does the trick, however, I don't understand why ParaView complains? I read
> that ParaView uses it's own vtk version which seems to be 7.1.0 (see below),
> so why this warning? Is there anything else I can can do to fix that or is
> this a bug in ParaView? Thanks!
>

> from __future__import print_function
>
> import vtk
>
> print(vtk.vtkVersion.GetVTKSourceVersion())
>

> Best wishes, Thomas

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.