[Paraview] Save data in ensight format using pvpython fails

Jonas Lantz jonas.lantz at liu.se
Thu Feb 4 03:54:14 EST 2016

Hi,
I have trouble saving data in ensight format using python on windows 7 and Paraview 4.3.1 and 5.0.0 64-bit. This is a simplified version of what I am doing:  start a trace in the Paraview GUI, load ensight file, merge blocks, file > save data as ensight, stop trace.  When doing this in the GUI it works as intended, and data is saved in ensight format. However, when I try to use pvpython and the python file from the trace, I get "No BlockId was found" a couple of thousand times in the output when it is trying to save. The files are created but the file size is zero bytes. My input data is a multi-block dataset on an unstructured grid.

So the strange thing is that everything works when saving through the GUI, but not when using pvpython and the trace from the GUI... Any idea on how to proceed?.

A simplified version of my trace is as follows:
from paraview.simple import *
paraview.simple._DisableFirstRenderCameraReset()
# create a new 'EnSight Reader'
casefilecase = EnSightReader(CaseFileName='path to ensight case file')
casefilecase.PointArrays = ['Velocity']
# create a new 'Merge Blocks'
mergeBlocks1 = MergeBlocks(Input=casefilecase)
# save data
SaveData('path to save ensight file', proxy=mergeBlocks1)