[Paraview] Thanks for your help!

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Tue Dec 27 14:35:15 EST 2016

> In my case, the dataset consists only of random numbers and it's in a
>> single partition. I will try to generate a dataset in parallel in a few
>> days and render it as you told me.
>>
> 5M point's is actually a pretty small dataset that should be easy to
> handle from a rendering standpoint, i.e. you should be fine handling it on
> a single node.  Most of your time is likely spent in I/O and data
> conversion rather than rendering.  How are you getting your data into
> ParaView, i.e. what file format are you using?  There is likely a better
> way that my address most of the performance issues you are having and
> remove the need for parallel rendering entirely.

Just for some context, I generated 5M random points in a 100x100x100 cube
with a single field data assigned to each point.
CSV File:

   - File size: 177M
   - Read file: 29 sec
   - Convert to points: 0.1 sec

VTK XML (binary encoding of data arrays):

   - File Size: 130M
   - Read File: 1.4 sec.

In both cases, once the file is read, the first frame render time with the
basic on-board Intel graphics card on my laptop is only 0.15 sec with the
subsequent frame render times being 0.04 sec.  You can see from this that
the bulk of the time is spent in file I/O and data conversion, especialy
with using something like CSV.  This was with ParaView 5.2.  With 4.4, the
I/O times are the same but the first-frame render time is much slower: 0.6
sec.  Still much closer to a usable frame rate. than 100 sec.
- Chuck