[Paraview] parallel rendering is slower than single process rendering and when using D3 filter it becomes much more slower

张驭洲 yzhzhang at ipe.ac.cn
Fri Dec 23 00:50:55 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm using PavaView rendering a dataset which contains 5,000,000 particles. The output file of each single time step is about 172 MB in size. It takes about 100 seconds to render 9 time steps' data when using a single process,and I think it is large enough to take the advantage of parallel rendering. However, it turns out to take almost the same rendering time of single process rendering when I use "mpirun -np 8 pvserver". The dataset is polydata, so I use D3 filter to redistribute it among the 8 processes. To my disappointment, it takes almost 3 times of the rendering time of single process rendering! I'm sure there are 8 cores in my rendering server, and the remote render threshold is 20 MB. Could you tell me why the parallel rendering is so slow and how I can make it faster? Should'n it be faster than single process rendering? By the way, I'm using ParaView 4.4.0 and the operating system is CentOS 6.3.