[Paraview] Compiling Paraview with osMesa using Superbuild

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Mon Dec 19 15:52:02 EST 2016

Hi Christopher,

While I haven't tested with OpenSuSE, I have been testing extensively with
SLES12.2 and EL7.   I usually recommend to build a CMake cache file to
encode the appropriate options used that you can save off as your build's
configuration file.  You can see many current examples in the cmake/sites
directory.  Specifically, the EL7-OSMesa.cmake configuration will likely be
a good place to start for you.  To use it:

# Clone the repo and it's submodules
# The current superbuild master/ branch is pointing to the ParaView 5.2.0
release
git clone https;//gitlab./kitware.com/paraview/paraview-superbuild.git
source
cd source
git submodule init
git submodule update

# Setup the build location
cd ..
mkdir build
cd build

# Configure
cmake -C /path/to/sb-source/cmake/sites/EL7-OSMesa.cmake /path/to/sb-source

# Build
make

# Install
make install

In your case specifically, you'll want to add the following to the config
file:

set(ENABLE_paraviewsdk ON CACHE "")

This will make sure the necessary headers and CMake files get packaged for
using Catalyst.  This will build with OSMesa enabling both the llvmpipe and
OpenSWR drivers.  Also, instead of a "make install", you can run "ctest -R
cpack-paraviewsdk-TGZ" which will generate a tarball that you can "install"
by extracting wherever you want it to end up.

We're still working on getting good HowTo docs for the Superbuild, which
has been challenging because many different users tend to use it in many
different ways.  I hope this helps give you a good place to start though.

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.