[Paraview] Paraview Web with SSL

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Mon Aug 22 16:32:09 EDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

I want to use paraview web with SSL. As far as I understand I need apache
> as a proxy server for that? Or is it possible with pvpython?

It might be possible with pvpython, but I've never done it, I've always
used apache to rely on a single opened port and handle the encryption.

> I have my own launcher which opens pvpython with a different port for each
> user. Is this the right way? Will this work with ssl?

If pvpython directly support the wss connection, you can be good. Usually
the setup, that I do is that I have Apache serving only the port 443
(https) for both the static content and the (wss) websocket endpoint. And I
use a mapping file between the Websocket endpoint that get returned by my
launcher and the host/port I should connect to on the backend to establish
the link between the client and the actual ParaViewWeb server instance.

But that does not mean, that's the only way to do it and if you don't mind
having several port open, I don't see why it could not work.

> Concerning:
>
> https://kitware.github.io/visualizer/docs/
>
> The web visuailzer should work via npm installation? It does not work for
> me:
> C:\Users\danie\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\pvw-visualiz
> er\bin\pvw-visualizer-cli.js:41
> var pvPythonExecs = find(paraview).filter(function(file) { return
> file.match(/pvpython$/) || file.match(/pvpython.exe$/); });
>                                    ^
>
> TypeError: find(...).filter is not a function
>     at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\danie\AppData\Roamin
> g\npm\node_modules\pvw-visualizer\bin\pvw-visualizer-cli.js:41:36)
>     at Module._compile (module.js:409:26)
>     at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:416:10)
>     at Module.load (module.js:343:32)
>     at Function.Module._load (module.js:300:12)
>     at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:441:10)
>     at startup (node.js:139:18)
>     at node.js:968:3

Well, I guess I haven't tried to run the new Visualizer server on a Windows
machine.
But with ParaView 5.2 (yet to be released), we should have a ParaViewWeb
back in the binaries. So we should make sure our Visualizer command line
tool work on that platform as well.
Although, the command line is more for beginners than anything else as it
only simplify the demo usage. In real word deployment, with a launcher, the
true pvpython command line should be used instead.

Here is an example of what you should see in a working environment:

$ Visualizer -d ~/Downloads/

| Execute:
| $ /Applications/paraview.app/Contents/bin/pvpython
|   -dr
|   /Users/seb/Documents/code/Web2/visualizer/server/pvw-visualizer.py
|   --content
|   /Users/seb/Documents/code/Web2/visualizer/dist
|   --port
|   8080
|   --data
|   /Users/seb/Downloads/

[...]

--
Daniel Zuidinga
Dipl.-Ing.

SEO Aachen
Passstr. 5
52070 Aachen

Tel   : 0241 / 450 912 67
E-Mail: info at seoaachen.de
Web   : http://www.seoaachen.de (nur zum Teil aktuell)
Xing  : https://www.xing.com/profile/Daniel_Zuidinga

Bald online: Software Tools für Konstrukteure und Bauteilhersteller
http://www.engineeringonline.de