[Paraview] Question about colorize a link-path between particles with a scalar

Lancelot Boulet lancelot.boulet at coria.fr
Tue Aug 16 09:50:25 EDT 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to visualise the path of one particle with the line colored by a scalar. But I don’t really know how to do that.
For example, I want to visualize the evolution of the temperature along the path of my particle.
I have a data file with point coordinates (each line represents its evolution in time) and some scalars (like temperature, diameter) as input.
"x", "y", "z", "scalar1", "scalar2"
0, 0, 0, 300, 12.5
0, 12, 7, 302, 35.4

What I had already done is to convert my data into Table Of Points. Then, I used this Programmable Filter to connect the points :

pdi = self.GetPolyDataInput()
pdo =  self.GetPolyDataOutput()
numPoints = pdi.GetNumberOfPoints()
pdo.Allocate()
for i in range(0, numPoints-1):
    points = [i, i+1]
    # VTK_LINE is 3
    pdo.InsertNextCell(3, 2, points)

I have found, on the Paraview Wiki, a way to give a unique color for the line that link all the coordinates :

pdi = self.GetPolyDataInput()
pdo =  self.GetPolyDataOutput()
numPoints = pdi.GetNumberOfPoints()
pdo.Allocate()

colors = vtk.vtkUnsignedCharArray()
colors.SetNumberOfComponents(3)
colors.SetName("Colors")

for i in range(0, numPoints-1):
    points = [i, i+1]
    # VTK_LINE is 3
    pdo.InsertNextCell(3, 2, points)
    colors.InsertNextTuple3(255,0,0)

pdo.GetPointData().AddArray(colors)
del colors

Do you have any idea how I can do that (with a Programmable Filter or not) ?

Thank you in advance.