[Paraview] Catalyst example pops up render window when running

Christopher Neal chrisneal at snumerics.com
Mon Aug 15 14:24:10 EDT 2016

Hi,

I’m trying to run an example case for Catalyst to test my build. The case that I’m interested in is the ‘CxxFullExample’.  There is a SampleScripts directory that comes with the example. It seems to run fine. I used Paraview 5.1 to open the .vtu output file from the example and generated a new catalyst script that outputs .png images of a view that I created.

When I try to run the example with my newly created script I get errors about:
ERROR: In /home/neal/software/ParaView5.2/ParaView/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 481

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x3234210): bad X server connection. DISPLAY=[SN-HPC-0:14212] *** Process received signal ***

Which, if I run the example in a terminal connected to the computer, I see that the script that Paraview created opens up a window on screen and displays my view. I didn’t check any boxes or options during the catalyst script creation process that requested an on-screen rendering. I’m at a loss for why this is happening. How can I request that views be saved to a file without having to be shown directly on the screen?

I’m using Paraview 5.2 on OpenSUSE 13.2.

Thank you,

Chris Neal