[Paraview] vtkHashSource-pv5.1 binary disappearing during ParaView 'make install'

Christopher Neal chrisneal at snumerics.com
Mon Aug 15 09:44:20 EDT 2016

Hey guys,

I don’t know if it helps, but the way that I’ve been able to get around the issue is to:

1.) Make a directory in the ParaView build directory called ‘tempbin’
2.) Copy all binaries from the ParaView ‘bin’ directory into ‘tempbin’

3.) Delete all files in ‘bin’
4.) Create symbolic links to all files in the ‘tempbin’ directory so that the ‘bin’ directory is full of symbolic links
5.) Re-do ‘make’   ( it’s just what I had to do in order to get it to work)
6.) do ‘make install’

Now all of the header files and things are moved to the correct locations and the make install process doesn’t result in binaries being removed from the ‘bin’ directory.  It’s a bit of a headscratcher, but I guess this fix results in that IF block that checks for symbolic links status not being executed in file: VTK/Utilities/HashSource/cmake_install.cmake:46

Best regards,
Chris Neal