[Paraview] Problems with export pdf

Mark Lohry mlohry at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:04:09 EDT 2016

Hi Daniel, I've had similar issues in trying to get high quality
publication-worthy plots out of paraview of late. I've been meaning to
write up my hack method for getting something satisfactory, but I'll
summarize it here. I had problems with the "rasterize 3d image" setting --
some things were outright rendering incorrectly (wrong colors, missing
elements), and additionally apparently there's no anti-aliasing output.

My wishlist:
- vector graphic output (not possible).
- TeX / raw text output for any text fields so LaTeX publications render it
in the appropriate font / math.

Since neither vector output or anti-aliased high resolution raster images
are available, and the rasterized-graphic-vector-text formats seem to give
lousy images, my hybrid process is like this:

1) Save screenshot: Export image as a rasterized png at high resolution
(say 16x desired resolution), but remove any text / colorbar legends.
1a) optional: Shrink this image using some interpolating resizing algorithm
(AFAIK this is essentially FSAA anti-aliasing).
2) Export scene: Export a second file as SVG with rasterized image. This
ends up giving you an svg file with plaintext, but also with an embedded
PNG in 64 bit code.
3) Replace the embedded PNG in the SVG with your high quality image from
(1). You can either convert your original PNG to bytecode and embed that
directly in the SVG, or you can make a hyperlink to the PNG file. The
former is recommended so that you have only one self-contained image file
and don't have to worry about the link breaking.

You can automate this process with some shell scripts to make it relatively
painless.