[Paraview] Surface LIC contrast enhancement invalid range

Andy Smith agsmith424 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:22:12 EDT 2016

A colleague of mine is having an issue using Surface LIC in ParaView 4.4:

I am having issues while running a Python script in batch mode on a server
with software rendering. While rendering a surface LIC image I receive the
following error message:

ERROR: In /ParaView/VTK/Rendering/LIC/vtkSurfaceLICPainter.cxx, line 3076
vtkPSurfaceLICPainter (0x5f0a3040): 6: Invalid  range 1e+38, -1e+38 for
color contrast enhancement

The resulting image writes out but appears "dark". The interesting item
here is that this only occurs on some images and not all of them. From
image to image the only thing that I am changing is the position of a Slice.

Any insight here would be great, I am out of ideas.

We would like to switch to using ParaView 5.1.x but as far as we know
surface LIC is not working in parallel yet.

Thanks,
Andy