[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Change default color mapping

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 29 20:10:21 EDT 2016

Alex,
I believe this was answered, but let me give a bit more detail.  At the end, I will answer.

A rainbow color map is considered to be a RBCM (Real Bad Color Map).  It's actually getting a lot of negative attention in the journals and conferences.  There are at least two reasons it's bad.  First is that about 8% of men are color blind, and the vast majority cannot tell the difference between green and red.  Thus, this color table is horrible for 8% of male engineers and scientists.  Second, the normal rainbow colormap does not change color equally to the human eye.  In other words, in the green part of the color table, everything looks the same.   Look at the size of the yellow bands vs the green band.  It's ridiculously different.  The default color map is very good with regards to these two issues.

ParaView comes with many optional color maps.  Unless there is an overriding reason, choose any of them except the Rainbow color map.  You do this through the Edit Color Map (a few icons below the Edit menu), then Preset (icon on the right, looks like a read heart).   My favorite is probably black body, although it only works with some simulations.  If you are looking for a color map that is more shiny (i.e., colorful), try rainbow desaturated.  But, realize that color blind folks will have issues with it.

Alan