[Paraview] Coordinate system transformation

Manu V G manu.gvm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:28:46 EDT 2016

Hello everyone!

Is it possible to create new local coordinate system (x1,y1,z1) and compute
velocities in that (in short coordinate transformation) from the original
system (x,y,z)? Google search did not help me much. And 'Transform' filter
do not transform velocities to the new coordinate system (is a geometrical
transformation).

Problem in detail :

I read a 3D velocity field in Paraview and compute orthogonal eigenvectors
(x1,y1,z1) at a certain point 'O1' using 'Programmable Filter'. These
eigenvectors (x1,y1,z1) act as basis for the new coordinate system with
origin 'O1'. I am trying and just want to visualize velocity in plane z1=0.
For this, I need to transform velocity field from original system to new
coordinate system (x1,y1,z1). And I am trying solve it in the following
way. Maybe there is simple way to do it Paraview.

>From eigenvectors, I can specify the plane (z1=0) by using a 'Slice'
filter. The velocities in that plane correspond to the global velocity
(u,v,w) in (x,y,z) coordinate system. Then, I use transformation matrix to
compute new velocity vector (u1,v1,w1) using 'Calculator' or 'Python
Calculation'. However, those velocities correspond to (x1,y1,z1) coordinate
system. So, is there a way to associate these newly computed velocities to
a new coordinate system and plot them?

Or is there a different way to do it Paraview?

I would be very thankful for your suggestions and inputs.

Thanks in advance, yours
--
Manu V Goudar
Lab of Aero & Hydrodynamics,