[Paraview] [EXT] Re: v5.0.1 & RealVNC

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Wed Apr 13 14:38:25 EDT 2016

Hi Dennis,

> Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display "alnx031:15.0".
>
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
>
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
>
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
>
> OpenGL extensions:

As I suspected, this is telling us is that the VNC server does not have
access to the GPU on the machine it's running on and is falling back to the
Mesa software driver, which does not support the version of OpenGL that
ParaView requires.  Older versions of ParaView (4.x) used a much older
OpenGL stack while the newer 5.x releases have a completely overhauled
rendering backend but it requires support for newer OpenGL versions. So,
even though older ParaView versions worked, they still were not able to use
the GPU and likely had fairly poor performance.  Given that, there are 2

   - Ideal:
      - See if your sysadmins can "fix" or configure the VNC server on the
      workstation to work with the GPU.
   - Workable:
      - Run ParaView using a newer version of Mesa.
         - You can probably use the binaries packaged with Paraview as
         Utkarsh mentioned by adding --mesa-llvm.
         - If this doesn't work, the mesa binaries we ship with ParaView
         are probably incompatible with the Linux distro the server
runs.  Which
         distro does the server run?  We may have a new version
already built that
         you can try to use.
         - Not ideal since it's still using software rendering but better
         than nothing if your admins can't get the VNC server working
with the GPU.

- Chuck

- Chuck